EGYPT - Telecommuncations Regulatory Authority
The EU-Egypt Action Plan, as part of the AA framework, was agreed in spring 2007. It defines areas of further progress in electronic communication policy and regulations. In this regard, the ENP Action Plan between Egypt and the EU within the European Neighbourhood Policy sets ambitious objectives based on joint ownership, common interests, reciprocal commitments, differentiation, shared values and implementation of national plans and reform programmes, politically, economically, socially and institutionally. The Twinning project specifically corresponds to section 2.5 of the ENP Action Plan entitled “Science and Technology, Research and Development, Information Society and Audiovisual Cooperation” which stipulates that cooperation between the two parties will cover further progress in electronic communication policy and regulation focussing on various areas.
The objectives of this Twinning project are:
- to contribute to the growth of Egyptian Telecommunications markets, increase of telecommunication services, enhancing competitive telecommunications environment and granting high quality services in affordable prices for all citizens
- to improve the efficiency of the National Telecommunications Regulatory Authority by providing capacity building in areas of organizational management, competition and regulation to ensure fair competition in a de-regulated market
The beneficiary of this project is the Egyptian Telecommunications Regulatory Authority.
Twinning the NTRA with the European regulator is seen as a tool by which to implement major aspects of the Association Agreement (AA), especially those areas concerning:
· the exchange of experience
· information and pooling technical resources
· reducing differences in standardization and conformity assessment
· supporting the emergent information society in general
· increasing compatibility of consumer protection